Radicchio Seeds - Rouge De Verona
- Seed Count: 300 Seeds
- Maturity Date: 50 Days
- Cold Tolerant: Able to withstand cooler temperatures, making it a great choice for early spring or late fall planting.
- Container Friendly: Compact growth habit allows it to thrive in pots or containers.
- Nutrient-Rich: Packed with vitamins A and C.
- Versatile in Culinary Use: Can be enjoyed both raw in salads or cooked for a deeper flavor.
- Crisp Texture: Offers a crunchy bite to dishes.
- Distinct Flavor: Known for its slightly bitter and peppery taste.
History: Radicchio, especially the Rogue De Verona variety, has its origins rooted in Italy. This leafy vegetable has been a staple in Mediterranean cuisine for centuries. Its deep-red and white coloration has always made dishes visually striking, while its distinct taste has made it a favorite among chefs and home cooks alike.
Uses: The Rogue De Verona Radicchio's slightly bitter and peppery flavor makes it a popular choice for salads, offering a refreshing and crisp texture. While traditionally consumed raw, when grilled or roasted, its bitterness mellows, and it takes on a rich, earthy flavor. This versatility in the kitchen allows it to be a key ingredient in a variety of dishes ranging from salads to warm entrees.
Growth Habit & Planting Instructions: Radicchio is a cold-tolerant crop that prefers cooler growing conditions. It can be direct-seeded outdoors or started indoors before transplanting. When planting, ensure seeds are sown 1/4 inch deep and spaced about 10 inches apart in rows that are 18 inches apart. Radicchio thrives in well-drained soil with consistent moisture. Being container-friendly, it's perfect for those with limited garden space. Remember to place containers in a location that receives at least 6 hours of sunlight daily. As it nears maturity, consider shielding it from direct sunlight to maintain its rich color and prevent it from becoming overly bitter. Harvest when the heads are firm and have reached their full color.