Beet Seeds - Detroit White
- Seed Count: 100 Seeds per Packet
- Maturity: Ready for harvest in 55 days from planting/transplanting
- Unique Attribute: Offers distinctive beet flavor without the typical staining
- Plant Type: Root vegetable with edible greens
- Ideal Growing Conditions: Thrives in well-drained soil with moderate sunlight
- Sowing Instructions: Plant seeds half an inch deep, spacing them 2-3 inches apart in rows 12-18 inches apart
- Harvesting: Both roots and green tops are edible
- Climate Adaptability: Suitable for cooler temperatures, can be planted in spring and late summer for two harvests
History: The Detroit White Beet is an innovative take on the traditional beet, bred in the fertile grounds of Detroit. It has evolved to become a distinctive variant in the beet family, maintaining the beloved flavor of classic beets while offering a unique, non-staining white color.
Uses: This variety is ideal for those who love the taste of beets but prefer to avoid the red stain associated with traditional beets. The Detroit White Beet is perfect for a range of culinary uses - from fresh in salads to roasted or used in soups. Its unique color adds an intriguing visual element to dishes, making it a hit in both flavor and presentation.
Growing Habits & Planting Instructions: Detroit White Beets are straightforward to cultivate. They require well-drained soil and benefit from moderate sunlight and regular watering. When planting, sow the seeds approximately half an inch deep, ensuring they're spaced 2-3 inches apart in rows. These beets are cold-tolerant and can be planted in both spring and late summer for dual harvesting opportunities. As they grow, thin the seedlings to allow the more robust plants to flourish fully. The result is a bountiful harvest of juicy, tender beets along with lush green tops, both of which are edible and nutritious.
In summary, the Detroit White Beet is a must-try for anyone interested in garden-to-table cooking, offering a unique twist on a traditional favorite. It's a delightful addition to any garden, promising a delicious and visually appealing harvest.