Radish Seeds - French Breakfast
- Seed Count: 250 Seeds
- Maturity Date: 20-30 Days
- Root Shape: Oblong-shaped roots.
- Flavor: Mild yet pungent flavor.
- Coloration: Dark pink roots that fade to white towards the tip.
- Growing Seasons: Best suited for fall, winter, and spring planting.
- Ideal Market Garden Choice: Popular among growers for its early harvest.
- Distinct Appearance: A unique two-toned color gradient, making it stand out in gardens and dishes.
History: The French Breakfast Radish, as the name suggests, hails from France and has been cultivated there since the 19th century. Known in French as "Radis Demi-long Rose à Bout Blanc," which translates to "half-long pink radish with a white tip," it quickly gained popularity not only for its unique appearance but also for its delightful flavor. Traditionally, it was consumed in the morning with butter and salt, hence its name "breakfast radish."
Uses: French Breakfast Radishes are not just limited to breakfast in modern cuisine. Their mild yet pungent flavor makes them a versatile ingredient. They can be eaten raw, sliced into salads, or served with butter as a simple appetizer. Their colorful appearance also makes them a popular choice for garnishing dishes, giving an added crunch and a burst of flavor.
Growth Habit & Planting Instructions: These radishes prefer cooler climates, making them ideal for planting in the fall, winter, and spring. They should be sown directly into the ground in well-draining soil, spaced about 1 inch apart in rows that are 12 inches apart. Plant the seeds 1/4 inch deep. Ensure they receive consistent moisture and thin them out as they grow to avoid overcrowding. Their quick maturity rate allows gardeners to enjoy multiple harvests in a single season. Harvest when the roots are about 2-3 inches long or when they have achieved their full color for the best flavor.