Cabbage Seeds - Mammoth Red Rock
- Seed Count: 300 seeds
- Maturity Date: 90-100 days from planting/transplanting
- Plant Type: Head cabbage with dense, round heads
- Head Characteristics: Deep red-purple color, averaging 6-8 pounds
- Plant Size: Grows up to 18 inches in height
- Soil Requirements: Prefers fertile, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0
- Sunlight Needs: Full sun for optimal growth
- Watering: Regular, consistent moisture is essential, especially during head formation
History: The Mammoth Red Rock Cabbage, dating back to the late 19th century, is an heirloom variety that has been a staple in gardens for generations. Originally cultivated for its large, colorful heads and robust flavor, it has continued to be a favorite among gardeners and chefs alike for its versatility and striking appearance.
Uses: This variety of cabbage is celebrated for its rich, slightly sweet flavor and crisp texture, making it ideal for a variety of culinary uses. It's perfect for salads, coleslaw, sauerkraut, and cooking. The vibrant red-purple color adds a visually appealing element to dishes, making it a popular choice for adding color to the dinner table.
Growing Habits & Planting Instructions: Mammoth Red Rock Cabbage is a hardy plant that can be grown in most climates. For best results, start seeds indoors about 6-8 weeks before the last frost date. Transplant seedlings outdoors in well-drained soil, spacing them about 24 inches apart to allow for their full growth potential. Provide plenty of sunlight and keep the soil consistently moist. As the heads begin to form, ensure that the plants receive adequate water to develop large, dense heads.