Basil Seeds - Sweet Genovese
- 500 Seeds Packet
- Plant Type: Annual herb, ensuring fresh growth each year.
- Plant Size: Typically reaches a height of 18-25 inches.
- Floral Beauty: Dark green flowers with prominent white centers bloom in late spring to early summer.
- Leaf Profile: Dark green leaves exude a sweet fragrance, enhancing any garden atmosphere.
- Flavor Profile: Delivers a spicy yet slightly sweet taste.
- Preferred Growth: Ideally suited for indoor planting, though it thrives outdoors as well.
- Culinary Delight: Recognized for its prominent role in Italian cuisine.
Historical Context: Sweet Genovese Basil is deeply rooted in Mediterranean history and culture. As one of the classic basil varieties, its presence has graced gardens, kitchens, and dishes for centuries. Originating from the Genova region in Italy, it's widely regarded as the traditional basil used in pesto and other iconic Italian dishes.
Culinary Uses: Sweet Genovese Basil has cemented its place in culinary arts around the world, especially in Italian cuisine. Its slightly sweet and spicy flavor profile complements an array of dishes, making it a must-have in every kitchen. It can be used fresh in salads, as a key ingredient in pesto, garnish for pizzas, or even to infuse oils and vinegars. Apart from its culinary uses, the sweet aroma of its leaves can be a natural mood enhancer, making it a dual-purpose herb in your garden.
Growth Habits & Planting Instructions: Starting with a well-drained soil mix, sow the seeds about 1/4 inch deep. Whether indoors or in an outdoor garden, ensure the basil receives ample sunlight, preferably 6-8 hours a day. Regular watering is vital but avoid waterlogged conditions as basil roots are sensitive to over-watering. As the plant matures, pinch off the flower buds to encourage a bushier growth and more leaf production. The leaves are best harvested just before flowering, as this is when they are most aromatic. Indoors, ensure your plant has good air circulation and consider occasional pruning to maintain its shape and boost leaf production.