Basil Seeds - Lemon Basil
- 250 Seeds Packet
- Pruning Benefits: Regularly cutting flower heads encourages a bushier growth and a continuous supply of flavorful leaves.
- Distinct Flavor: Offers a refreshing citrus-y taste, setting it apart from its basil counterparts.
- Milder Note: Less pungent aroma and taste as compared to other basil varieties.
- Adaptable Growth: Thrives both in garden beds and pots.
- Popular in Culinary Delights: A favorite in Italian cuisine, especially seafood dishes.
- Attracts Pollinators: Its delicate flowers can attract beneficial insects to your garden.
- Easy Care: Requires regular watering and occasional feeding for best results.
Historical Perspective: Hailing from the vibrant landscapes of Southeast Asia, Lemon Basil, over the centuries, found its way into the heart of Italian cuisine. A cherished variant of the classic basil, this herb, with its unique citrus undertones, has been a staple in kitchens, adding a zesty twist to traditional recipes.
Culinary Uses: Lemon Basil stands out with its bright and citrusy flavor profile. Predominantly used in Italian dishes, it imparts a light and refreshing taste, especially complementing white meats like shrimp and flounder. Its milder aroma ensures that it doesn't overpower, but rather enhances the dish's natural flavors. Additionally, it's perfect for crafting a zesty pesto, adding a twist to pasta, salads, and grilled vegetables.
Growth Habits & Planting Instructions: Lemon Basil, being a sun-lover, requires a sunny spot in your garden or balcony. Start by sowing the seeds in well-draining soil after the last frost has passed. Space the plants around 10-12 inches apart to ensure adequate growth. Regular watering, combined with occasional organic fertilizing, will ensure a bountiful yield. One unique aspect of cultivating Lemon Basil is the need to cut back its flower heads regularly. This not only encourages a bushier plant but also ensures that the plant continues to produce flavorful leaves throughout the season. Given its less pungent nature, this variety is perfect for those who enjoy a milder basil flavor in their dishes.