Basil Seeds - Spicy Globe
Spicy Globe Basil Seeds
- Seed Count: 250 seeds
- Maturity Date: Approximately 70-75 days from planting
- Plant Type: Compact, bushy herb
- Plant Size: Typically grows 8-12 inches tall
- Leaf Characteristics: Small, spicy, and aromatic leaves
- Culinary Uses: Ideal for seasoning, garnishing, and pesto
- Growing Conditions: Prefers full sun, warm temperatures, and well-drained soil
- Planting Instructions: Sow seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost, or directly outdoors after the frost danger has passed
History Spicy Globe Basil, a variant of the classic sweet basil, is cherished for its unique growth habit and flavorful leaves. Originating from the Mediterranean region, this herb has been cultivated for centuries, valued for both its culinary and ornamental qualities. Spicy Globe Basil stands out from other basil varieties with its compact, rounded form, making it a favorite in kitchen gardens and as a decorative potted herb.
Uses This basil variety is known for its intense, spicy flavor, which adds a robust zest to a variety of dishes. It's especially well-suited for creating richly flavored pestos, seasoning meats, and enhancing pasta sauces. The small leaves are also perfect for garnishing and adding a fresh, aromatic touch to salads and other culinary creations.
Growth Habit & Planting Instructions Spicy Globe Basil exhibits a compact, bush-like growth, making it an excellent choice for container gardening or small garden spaces. To grow, sow seeds indoors in well-drained soil and keep them in a warm, sunny spot. Transplant seedlings outdoors after all risk of frost has passed, spacing them about 10-12 inches apart. The plant thrives in full sun and requires regular watering, particularly during dry spells. Pinching off the tips can encourage a bushier growth and prevent early flowering, ensuring a continuous supply of fresh leaves.