Lettuce Seeds - Summer Bibb
- Seed Count: 1000 seeds
- Maturity Date: 55-60 days from planting/transplanting
- Plant Type: Loose-leaf lettuce
- Leaf Characteristics: Soft, tender, green leaves with a mild flavor
- Plant Size: Compact, ideal for small gardens or containers
- Soil Requirements: Prefers well-drained, fertile soil with a pH of 6.0-6.8
- Sunlight Needs: Partial shade to full sun, tolerates heat well
- Watering: Consistent moisture is crucial for tender leaves
History: Summer Bibb Lettuce, an heirloom variety, has been cherished in gardens for its delicate texture and flavor. Originating from Europe, it gained popularity in the United States for its adaptability to various climates and its ability to thrive in warmer temperatures.
Uses: This variety is a staple in culinary creations, especially in salads and sandwiches. Its tender leaves and mild taste make it a preferred choice for a fresh, green addition to meals. It's also an excellent base for summer salads, pairing well with a wide range of dressings and toppings.
Growing Habits & Planting Instructions: Summer Bibb Lettuce is ideal for gardeners of all levels. Plant the seeds in well-drained, fertile soil and provide partial shade, especially in hotter climates, to prevent bolting. Sow the seeds 1/8 inch deep and space them about 6-8 inches apart. This lettuce variety benefits from regular watering to maintain moist soil, ensuring the development of soft, tender leaves. Harvest the outer leaves as needed or the whole head when it's fully matured.